Qualche cenno sull'argomento:

A historical side, characterised by the overlapping of different phases of attendance during the republican and modern age, was brought to light under the upland where Saint’Eulalia’s church is built. In 1990, during the adaptation works of the sacristy, a shaft mouth full of remains was discovered. The shaft mouth was placed under the church floor, ruined by the erosion of humidity. This discovery was the start of a research which, born as a brief speleological and archaeological exploration, provided elements of such a great interest to gradually expand the digging to the whole underlying part of the museum. This research defined, little by little, a living picture of an ancient, medieval Cagliari, characterized by artefacts of extraordinary historical and monumental significance.

In an underground itinerary of great appeal part of a paved steep road, about 4 meters wide, can be admired; it is now accessible for a section of 13 meters. This road was most likely linked to the nearby port activities and it was probably an important element of connection between the port and the city. In addition to this, during the current archaeological studies, more remains of a new building have been found about seven meters under the church. Nevertheless, it is still not clear how this new structure and the road were originally related.

The new discovered building consists of an extended space, where the part of a side composed of a colonnade obstructed by a late cladding and linked to a floor of irregular chalky and marmoreal tiles, is still visible. The columns, calcareous and covered with plaster, rest on marmoreal and ancient bases and they display certain features that can be attributed to the late republican age.

The Museum of Santa Eulalia’s Treasure is next to the sacristy. The exposition includes numerous silvers from the liturgical legacy: chalices, pixes, monstrances, artisan crosses and many other objects coming from Sardinian and Ligurian studios operating betweeen the XVI and XIX century. The museum is in a building annexed to Santa Eulalia’s parish church in the historic centre of Cagliari, the Marina district. The historical and artistic heritage of Santa Eulalia, Santa Lucia and Santo Sepolcro’s churches is kept in the museum, as well as the archival material of Santa Eulalia’s parish church and of the already extinct Arciconfraternita dell’Orazione, Arciconfraternita della Morte, Arciconfraternita della Santissima Trinità and Arciconfraternita Prezioso Sangue di Cristo (XVII century – first half of the XX century). The museum is structured on two floors: on the ground floor there is the archive, while on the first floor there are the vestments, the altar cloth and the holy vessels. Silvers of Sardinian and Ligurian manufacture dating to 1500 can be found on the first floor, connected to the abovementioned liturgical parish legacy and the Confraternities’ (for example a Baroque chalice of 1673), as well as important wooden statues from the XVI and XVII century. Among the different vestments there is a beautiful floral chasuble of Roman artefact of the second half of the XVII century and a late XVII century parato, probably from Genoa, composed of ten pieces, with the Zapata family’s emblem. Pictorial works are also exhibited; in particular the Tuscan Madonna con Bambino of the second half of XIV century. In addiction there are some finds from the archaeological area excavated under the church that is currently subject of another scientific study.