Qualche cenno sull'argomento:

The Purissima Church was probably built after 1540, when the noblewoman Gerolama Rams Dessena, who devoted herself to a monastic life, built the adjacent cloistered convent of the Poor Clares.

The expansion of the convent and the edification of the church were planned later, in 1554; this initiative was supported by the archbishop Domenico Pastorelli who granted the Romanesque little church of St. Elizabeth to the religious women, as their temporary headquarters.

In fact, the Purissima’s church was built on the latter’s structure, as proved by the excavations carried out in the presbytery area in 1989, which brought to light numerous finds datable between the XIV and the XVI century.

The inside of the church stands out for the formal elegance by which the architect who designed it, whose name is unknown, followed the rules of the gothic-Catalan architecture.

The structure, made of a type of calcarenite stone, designs a single nave divided by a pointed arch into two bays made of natural stone. Each bay has a groin vault and a hanging keystone in the middle.

The church remained in use until 1867 when the convent was suppressed and acquired by the State that later used it as a school.

Once the convent was closed and the nuns dispersed, the church was also abandoned and closed to worship.

Only in 1903-4, on the fiftieth anniversary of the proclamation of the Immaculate Conception dogma, the church was chosen for the solemn celebrations and restored.

Fallen into oblivion once again, in 1933 the church was assigned to the congregation of the Servants of the Holy Family that still holds it.

The Italian State has owned it since 1867, through the FEC, Fondo Edifici di Culto (Fund Buildings of Worship) of the Ministero degli Interni (Home Office).

Thanks to an allocation in 2009 from the Regione Autonoma della Sardegna (Autonomous Region of Sardinia), Assessorato dei Beni Culturali (Regional Commission for the Cultural Heritage) and under the supervision of the Soprintendenza BAPSAE (Commission for the Architectural, Landscape, Historical, Artistic and Ethno-anthropological Heritage) of Cagliari and Oristano, the Municipality of Cagliari has led its restoration.