Qualche cenno sull'argomento:

The appearance of the viceroy’s Palace today is the result of changes and adaptations that have taken place over several centuries. Starting from the first half of the 14th century it was the residence of the Catalan and Aragonese viceroy. With the passing of time, administrative and political offices were added. The most important works were performed under the Savoys, starting from some time around 1729-30 by Piedmont military engineers. The parts involved were the rooms on the first floor as well as the atrium, the stairway and the portal: above this we find an inscription dated 1769 in memory of King Carlo Emanuele III and Viceroy Hallot. It is believed that the façade we see today, characterized by pilasters that mark the building vertically and frame the openings on the different floors, goes back to that time. Between 1779 and 1815 the palace was the residence of the Savoy court in “exile” from Turin owing to the French occupation. After the “Perfect Merging” of Sardinia with the Italian mainland states (1847), the building’s original purpose was abandonned until it was purchased by the Provincial Administration (1885) which continued the transformations. The most important of these was the Council Chamber, for which there was a nation-wide call for tenders in 1892, won by Domenico Bruschi, a painter from Perugia. Between 1894 and 1895 he painted subjects recalling moments in the life of the Sardinian people, from Roman times to the modern era, up to the allegorical celebration of the island which preserves the Savoy coat-of-arms. At a later time (perhaps between 1896 and 1898) Bruschi decorated the Yellow Hall with mythological scenes and dancers. The building also houses the picture gallery with the portraits of the viceroys, which are more important historically than artistically. Today the building houses some offices of the prefecture and has undergone restoration works along with the boardrooms.