Qualche cenno sull'argomento:

The imposing Pisan tower known as the Torre dell’Elefante was designed by the architect Giovanni Capula at the beginning of the 14th century and completed in 1307. Some time around 1328 the northern side was walled up to make room for storerooms and officials’ living quarters. In the 17th and 18th centuries new buildings were added to the tower and partly concealed its imposing size. In the second half of the 19th century it was changed into a prison. The restoration of the building in 1906, with the removal of the side that had been walled up in the Aragonese period, brought the tower back to its original condition. Almost identical to the Tower of San Pancras, it has conserved to the present day its function as an entrance to the Castello quarter. It has four floors on suspended wooden platforms open on the side facing the inside of the quarter, following the Pisan model. On the outside, it offers the town a view of its three massive sides of white limestone quarried from the Bonaria hill. The only openings are the narrow slits of the loopholes. The gate was protected by numerous defensive works, three sturdy doors and two portcullises; at the top of the tower a series of corbels supported a wooden platform for defence from above. A few metres above the ground on the southern side there is a sculpted elephant, perhaps dating back to the time of the tower’s construction. Well preserved at different levels are the coats of arms of the Pisan families that resided in the Castello and, beside the entrance, we can still read the epigraph in memory of the masons and the architect Giovanni Capula, who “never in his works proved to be incapable”.