Cagliari English

Palazzo di Città

Palazzo di Città has been home to the Municipality of Cagliari from the Middle Ages until the early XX century, when the relocation of the municipality offices from the old to the new venue was decreed, still to be built in Via Roma, during a city council meeting chaired by the Mayor Ottone Baccaredda. During [...]

Palazzo dell’Università

The University of Cagliari was founded under the reign of Philip IV, king of Spain, in 1626. In 1764, under the reign of Charles Emmanuel III, king of Sardinia, the military engineer Saverio Belgrano di Famolasco drew up a plan to bring together the University main building, the Tridentine Seminary and the theatre, into a [...]

Palazzo Civico

In 1897 a national competition for the new City Hall was published, after the decision to transfer Cagliari City Hall’s HQ from the ancient and uncomfortable building of Piazza Palazzo to the new city political commercial axis in front of the sea, via Roma. The competition was won by Crescentino Caselli, who signed a project [...]

Ospedale Civile e Sotterranei Ospedale Civile

The shelter tunnel under the hospital San Giovanni di Dio, designed by Gaetano Cima and built between 1844 and the end of the XIX century, was excavated in Tramezzario, a carbonatic formation of the Miocene type (11-7 million years ago) typical of Cagliari. The tunnels were built and used as bomb shelters during the Second World War. The tunnel [...]

Orto dei Cappuccini

In the garden of the Capuchins, now town property, there are several monumental cisterns dug into limestone; for a long time they were attributed to the Punic period. Instead, they are ancient stone quarries where blocks of stone were extracted, perhaps in the 2nd century AD, for the construction of the nearby Roman Amphitheatre. The [...]

Orto Botanico

The Botanical Garden’s initial design was by the architect Gaetano Cima (1853), and it was partially modified by its founder Professor Patrizio Gennari. The Botanical Garden is situated in Palabanda valley and its inauguration took place on November 15th, 1866. The microclimatic features of the area have favoured the acclimatization and the development of plants, [...]

Museo di Geologia e Paleontologia e Museo di Mineralogia

The Geological and Paleontological Museum and the Mineralogical Museum of the University of Cagliari were founded in 1806 thanks to the valuable collections of the Sardinian Viceroy Carlo Felice, on display since 1802. When the Museum became public in 1857, it was enriched by Alberto La Marmora’s collections and was divided into two parts two [...]

Museo di Fisica

The Museum of Physics is a prestigious building ranked among the most important national scientific Museums, thanks to its high amount of finds, their value and conservation status. This wide exposition (some thousands of samples) extends along the big gallery on the ground floor of the Department of Physics. Here visitors can observe the original [...]

Museo di Antropologia ed Etnografia

The Sardinian Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography was opened in 1953 on the initiative of Professor  Carlo Maxia (Rome 1907- Sassari 1996), who worked at the University of Cagliari and managed to have the funds to add a floor to the building of Normal Human Anatomy, situated in via Porcell. The museum shared the rooms [...]

Museo delle Ferrovie dello Stato

The Stazione della Compagnia Reale delle Ferrovie (The Station of the Royal Railway Company), later named Ferrovie dello Stato (National Railway), was inaugurated in 1879 and designed by the engineer Polese in a classical style, partially modified over the years. Thus, around the 1930s, the building sides were raised, acquiring today’s volume. In 1985 a [...]

Museo Archeologico Nazionale

The National Archaeological Museum has been located in the Cittadella dei Musei (museum citadel) in piazza Arsenale since 1993, but its institution dates back to 1805 when the Viceroy Carlo Felice donated the first set of archaeological finds that created the first archaeological collection open to visitors. Antonio Taramelli directed the museum between 1903 and [...]

Mediateca del Mediterraneo

The MEM rose in the historic Stampace district, in the area which was the scene of Cagliari Football team’s exploits from 1923 to 1951, replaced by the city market from the 1950s onwards until few years ago. The plan has seen the fulfilment of a structure beyond local boundaries: the Mediateca del Mediterraneo. Its courtyard, [...]

Lazzaretto

The Lazzaretto was a place designated for the quarantine of people, goods and animals coming from countries where epidemics of infectious diseases such as plague, cholera, thyphus fever, smallpox, leprosy were diffused. The continuous epidemics and the consequential attempt to contain their diffusion proved that the choice of Sant’Elia area as its site was no [...]

Istituto Nautico Buccari e Porto di Cagliari

The school was founded as an autonomous nautical technical institute in 1923/24 and in 1926 got its current title after the famous company known as Beffa di Buccari. Between the 1930s and the 1940s the location was initially moved to Marina, afterwards to Viale Diaz, getting last its current location in Viale Colombo. Since 1960 [...]

Il Ghetto

The complex erroneously known as Ghetto degli Ebrei (Jewish Ghetto) rises on Santa Croce bastion, between the homonymous street and Cammino Nuovo (New Path), above the old walls around Castello district. It was originally constructed as barracks dedicated to the Sabaudian king Carlo Emanuele III. The building, designed by Piedmontese military engineers, was meant to [...]

Vedi Altri