Cagliari English

Galleria Comunale d’Arte e Giardini Pubblici

The Municipal Art Gallery is the cornerstone of the Civic Museums and of the integrated museum system, and holds a crucial role in the city cultural planning. Not simply a traditional museum anymore, as it has become a research and innovation centre, a place where new artistic languages meet, the Gallery goes beyond its physical [...]

Fullonica

In 1956, excavations for the construction of a new building for I.N.P.S., Italy’s social security administration, in the area between Via XX Settembre and Viale Regina Margherita, brought to light ancient walls and led to intervention by the Superintendency for Archaeology, then directed by Gennaro Pesce. Excavations uncovered the remains of a room with a [...]

Fondazione Banco di Sardegna

Banco di Sardegna Foundation headquarters is located in Cagliari city centre near the historic Castello district, on the area below N.S. di Monserrato (Our Lady of Monserrato) bastion. The history of its construction is unclear and hardly documented but, thanks to a document written by Canon Spano, its costruction is dated back after 1870, as [...]

Facoltà di Ingegneria e Architettura

Located in the upper part of Via Corte d’Appello near the churches of Santa Maria del Monte and Santa Croce, the former College of the Jesuits is now the seat of the Department of Architecture of the University of Cagliari. Annexed to the Basilica of Santa Croce, founded by the Jesuits in 1661, it followed [...]

Exma

Cagliari’s ex-slaughterhouse complex is located in the historic Villanova district, near the ancient churches of San Saturnino (St. Saturninus of Cagliari) and San Lucifero (St. Lucifer of Cagliari). At the time of its construction, it was located on the edge of the city, surrounded by fields. It was the ideal place to build a modern [...]

Cripta di Santa Restituta

The crypt of St Restituta is a hypogeum, partly natural and partly dug into the rock, which was used in the late Punic, Roman and probably early Christian times, as can be seen from the many findings from that period that came to light during restoration works carried out in the 1970s. The space has [...]

Consiglio Regionale della Sardegna

The Regional Council, the Autonomous Region of Sardinia’s legislative body, the Sardinian Parliament, has control and orientation functions towards the Region’s executive body, the Regional Government. The official seat of the Council has been in Via Roma, 25, since 1988; it covers an area of 3,200 square meters, divided into three structures. The central one [...]

Collezione Luigi Piloni

The collection includes more than 900 pieces of art and Sardinian handcraft, which had been gathered over years of research and strict selection. In 1980 it was donated by Luigi Piloni, an erudite and passionate researcher, to the University of Cagliari. The collection has enriched the university patrimony, promoting the growth of the public sentiment [...]

Cittadella dei Musei e fortificazioni

The Citadel of Museums is on the northern side of the rocky hill on which the old Castello district develops. Nowadays, only few clues, specifically two cisterns, suggest human presence in the area in the Phoenician-Carthaginian and Roman age. During the Pisan period, after the erection of the Torre di San Pancrazio (St. Pancras tower) [...]

Colle di Bonaria – Cimitero Monumentale

The Monumental Cemetery of Bonaria spreads near the homonymous hill, on an area previously employed as a necropolis of rock-cut tombs during the Punic-Roman and Early Christian ages of the city. Until the beginning of the century, the Benedictine Church of Santa Maria de Portu (Saint Mary of the harbor), S. Bardilio afterwards, was near [...]

Chiesa di San Domenico

St. Dominic's Convent was built in 1254 on the ruins of the old Benedictine church devoted to Saint Anna in Villanova district. The original structure of the complex had a close relationship with Tuscan factories and with the architecture of the mendicant orders. This single nave church strongly resembles the Italian Gothic model of Saint [...]

Chiesa di Santa Lucia

Remembered in 1119 with the name of Santa Lucia di Civita, the church was built a century before the foundation of the Pisan Castle near the so-called Bagnaria merchant borough. Granted to the monks of San Vittore di Marsiglia, who were in San Saturno’s abbey, the church was part of an articulated monumental port system. [...]

Chiesa di San Vincenzo Dè Paoli

Saint Vincent De’ Paoli’s Church or Mission Church is located in the block between Via and Piazza San Domenico, where the Mission Congregation and College stand. It was built in 1950 while repairing a large chapel destroyed during the Second World War bombing. The chapel, integrated in the Mission house, had been constructed in 1915, [...]

Sa Illetta e Chiesa di San Simone

Saint Simon’s church rises up the islet of Sa Illetta. Originally it had a surface of about 395 acres that became 98 after the creation of the harbour. Probably the islet was a Phoenician, Carthaginian and then Roman port of call. There may also be a medieval phase reconstructed through documents dating back to the [...]

Chiesa di San Lorenzo

The building is documented since the second half of the XIII century, and was once dedicated to St. Pancras. During the Spanish age, it changed its title into Nostra Signora del Buon Camino and in the XVIII century it was dedicated to the protomartyr Lorenzo. This Romanesque building is made of limestone ashlars. It has a medieval [...]

Vedi Altri