Cagliari English

Chiesa della Purissima

The Purissima Church was probably built after 1540, when the noblewoman Gerolama Rams Dessena, who devoted herself to a monastic life, built the adjacent cloistered convent of the Poor Clares. The expansion of the convent and the edification of the church were planned later, in 1554; this initiative was supported by the archbishop Domenico Pastorelli [...]

Cattedrale e Cripta dei SS Martiri

Saint Mary's church became the city Cathedral in 1258, after conquering and then abandoning Saint Igia, the capital of the Giudicato di Cagliari (the Sardinian district of Cagliari), the Episcopate’s  main venue. The square base of the bell tower, the arms of the transept, the two Romanesque style side doors (the southern one) and the [...]

Castello e Parco di San Michele

Saint Michael Castle is located on the hill of the same name, nowadays surrounded by a large amount of buildings, but once isolated in the north-western territory outside Cagliari. Recent excavations brought the remains of an early medieval church (that is, from the early Middle Ages) to light, on whose top the castle with the [...]

Grande Oriente d’Italia Casa Massonica

Taken over some years ago by the Grande Oriente d’Italia (GOI) as the headquarters of the Masonic lodges in Cagliari, the building was originally built by the Sanjust di Teulada family. The traditional style is apparent with squared-off openings surmounted by frames and strips around the windows. The new building replaced the old building which [...]

Biblioteca Universitaria e Sala Settecentesca

The University Library was established in 1764 by the Constitutions for the University Reform. Its first regulations were written by Victor Amadeus III of Sardinia in 1785 and it opened to the public in 1792. It was positioned in the XVIII century Hall on the first floor of the University new building. The initial main [...]

Basilica di Santa Croce

Santa Croce church - which rests on the calcareous bastion with the same name - was probably built as a synagogue since its early years after the donation of the Castle to the Pisans (1217), even though there is no irrefutable evidence of it. However, it was certainly a Jewish place of worship when Cagliari [...]

Area Archeologica Viale Trieste 105

The archaeological site of Viale Trieste 105 is situated under the Council Office of Tourism, Crafts and Trade's inner parking lot. It's a multi-stratified settlement, datable between the Republican Rome Age and the late Imperial Age, which is included in the Roman Cagliari whose core is located in the current piazza del Carmine. The buildings [...]

Auditorium Conservatorio di Musica

The operational project of the Conservatory of Music Auditorium approved in 1964 included two sections: the school and the auditorium. In 1971 the school moved in from the old location in Piazza Palazzo, whereas the Auditorium was designed later on. Paolo Porceddu, an engineer and a musician, was the director of design and construction of [...]

Area archeologica e Museo del Tesoro Sant’Eulalia

A historical side, characterised by the overlapping of different phases of attendance during the republican and modern age, was brought to light under the upland where Saint’Eulalia’s church is built. In 1990, during the adaptation works of the sacristy, a shaft mouth full of remains was discovered. The shaft mouth was placed under the church [...]

Archivio di Stato di Cagliari

The monumental building of Cagliari’s National Archive was opened in 1927 and represented one of the first examples of modern archival constructions of that period. However, the Archive origins are very old: it was founded in 1332 by Alfonso il Benigno, king of Aragon, nine years after their island conquest. Being located in the historic [...]

Vedi Altri