Qualche cenno sull'argomento:
Remembered in 1119 with the name of Santa Lucia di Civita, the church was built a century before the foundation of the Pisan Castle near the so-called Bagnaria merchant borough. Granted to the monks of San Vittore di Marsiglia, who were in San Saturno’s abbey, the church was part of an articulated monumental port system. The exact shape of its medieval stage is unknown; it was perhaps modified after the urban reshaping of the Bagnaria-Lapola area with a web of orthogonal streets, at the beginning of the XIV century, thanks to the Aragonesi.
The monument, which is currently limited to the right chapels and part of the presbytery, testifies the radical reconstruction planned between the end of the XVI and the beginning of the XVII century, following one of the models indicated by the Counter-Reformation and adopted in many churches of the city (i.e. Santa Restituta’s and Santa Caterina’s). Among these, only Santa Lucia’s could show a high dome built on spherical crests in a Renaissance taste. The several remaking of furniture and flooring, highlighted by the current archaeological campaign, confirm the central role of the church in the local culture: part of the rich heritage, of silver and marble decors, which were frequently donated and commissioned to artists such as Scipione Aprile (1600) or Giovanni Battista Franco (1802), is stored in Santa Eulalia’s museum today.
During the XIX century, the monument’s fate progressively declines: in spite of the minor damage caused by the bombardments in 1943, it was intentionally demolished in 1947 in order to obtain a state funding for post-war reconstructions. The Reconstruction Plan consisted in the partial demolition of the church, the widening of the narrow Via Sardegna and a plaza, following some directions of the Regular Plan written by architect Gaetano in 1858.
Since 2002, Santa Lucia’s area has gone through an articulated restoration program. Systematic archive researches are returning new dignity to the late renaissance architecture: the current archaeological campaign is drawing attention to the church plant and recording new data on the monument, such as floorings of various periods, an obliterated well, burials near the altar, a crypt and a cistern. These last months’ investigations reveal the presence of a medieval wall in the sacristy, considerably lower than the roadway.