Cagliari English 2017

Villa di Tigellio

,

The complex known as the Villa of Tigellius, since it was originally attributed to the bard of the same name, a contemporary of Augustus and famous for his wealth and extravagance, is in reality a part of an elegant residential area of Roman Karalis which was built at the end of the 1st century BC [...]

Parco Archeologico di Tuvixeddu

,

Tuvixeddu hill hosts a Punic necropolis, which has been considered the widest and most significant one in the Mediterranean area since the XIX century. The necropolis still preserves most of its striking expansion, although long damaged by the working of the quarries, which supplied the cement factory. The declining part of the hill pointing to [...]

Torre dell’Elefante

,

The imposing Pisan tower known as the Torre dell’Elefante was designed by the architect Giovanni Capula at the beginning of the 14th century and completed in 1307. Some time around 1328 the northern side was walled up to make room for storerooms and officials’ living quarters. In the 17th and 18th centuries new buildings were [...]

Teatro Massimo

,

The history of the Teatro Massimo begins following two events that erased the two most important theatres of Cagliari: the fire, which destroyed the Politeama in 1942, and the terrible bombing which devastated the Teatro Civico in 1943. Therefore the Massimo was completed between 1944 and 1947. Two young architects of Cagliari, Oddone Devoto and [...]

Teatro Lirico

,

The Teatro Lirico was opened in 1993, at the end of a very long period of works that began in 1964, with the competition notice for the realization of a new theatre for the city, which replaced the old Teatro Civico that was destroyed in the Second World War's bombings. After approving the project realised by the architects Ginoulhiac and Galmozzi [...]

Molentargius – Teatro delle Saline

,

The most fascinating public building in the city of salt is surely the recreational club Dopolavoro. It was found on  October 20th, 1932, and then abandoned, until rediscovered and renovated in the 1990s by the group Teatro Akroama. Since then, numerous theatrical and musical shows have taken place here. The theatre is located beyond the [...]

Società degli Operai

,

The foundation of the Society of Mutual Aid of the City of Cagliari dates back to 1855: its first provisional headquarters were located in the Castello district, in the council room of the old Civic Palace. After different provisional sites, this elegant Art Nouveau building, that still hosts the Association, was built in 1912 meeting [...]

Parco Naturale Regionale Molentargius

,

The Regional Natural Park of Molentargius – Saline is located in the south of Sardinia, near Cagliari and Quartu Sant’Elena, two of the biggest Sardinian cities, estimating a population of around 400,000 people. Thanks to the number of different bird species, in 1977 this site was acknowledged as a wetland of international value by the [...]

Palazzo Viceregio

,

The appearance of the viceroy’s Palace today is the result of changes and adaptations that have taken place over several centuries. Starting from the first half of the 14th century it was the residence of the Catalan and Aragonese viceroy. With the passing of time, administrative and political offices were added. The most important works [...]

Palazzo Siotto

,

The building is where the “Giuseppe Siotto” Historical Institute Foundation is located. It was founded in 1990, and its aim is to promote the study and diffusion of Sardinian history. Completed in 1850, the building underwent an important restructuring process in 1927 based on the project of the engineer, Giacomo Crespi. It has three facades [...]

Palazzo di Città

,

Palazzo di Città has been home to the Municipality of Cagliari from the Middle Ages until the early XX century, when the relocation of the municipality offices from the old to the new venue was decreed, still to be built in Via Roma, during a city council meeting chaired by the Mayor Ottone Baccaredda. During [...]

Palazzo dell’Università

,

The University of Cagliari was founded under the reign of Philip IV, king of Spain, in 1626. In 1764, under the reign of Charles Emmanuel III, king of Sardinia, the military engineer Saverio Belgrano di Famolasco drew up a plan to bring together the University main building, the Tridentine Seminary and the theatre, into a [...]

Palazzo Civico

,

In 1897 a national competition for the new City Hall was published, after the decision to transfer Cagliari City Hall’s HQ from the ancient and uncomfortable building of Piazza Palazzo to the new city political commercial axis in front of the sea, via Roma. The competition was won by Crescentino Caselli, who signed a project [...]

Ospedale Civile e Sotterranei

,

The shelter tunnel under the hospital San Giovanni di Dio, designed by Gaetano Cima and built between 1844 and the end of the XIX century, was excavated in Tramezzario, a carbonatic formation of the Miocene type (11-7 million years ago) typical of Cagliari. The tunnels were built and used as bomb shelters during the Second World War. The tunnel [...]

Orto dei Cappuccini

,

In the garden of the Capuchins, now town property, there are several monumental cisterns dug into limestone; for a long time they were attributed to the Punic period. Instead, they are ancient stone quarries where blocks of stone were extracted, perhaps in the 2nd century AD, for the construction of the nearby Roman Amphitheatre. The [...]

Vedi Altri