Cagliari English 2017

Orto Botanico

,

The Botanical Garden’s initial design was by the architect Gaetano Cima (1853), and it was partially modified by its founder Professor Patrizio Gennari. The Botanical Garden is situated in Palabanda valley and its inauguration took place on November 15th, 1866. The microclimatic features of the area have favoured the acclimatization and the development of plants, [...]

Museo di Geologia e Paleontologia e Museo di Mineralogia

,

The Geological and Paleontological Museum and the Mineralogical Museum of the University of Cagliari were founded in 1806 thanks to the valuable collections of the Sardinian Viceroy Carlo Felice, on display since 1802. When the Museum became public in 1857, it was enriched by Alberto La Marmora’s collections and was divided into two parts two [...]

Museo delle Ferrovie dello Stato

,

The Stazione della Compagnia Reale delle Ferrovie (The Station of the Royal Railway Company), later named Ferrovie dello Stato (National Railway), was inaugurated in 1879 and designed by the engineer Polese in a classical style, partially modified over the years. Thus, around the 1930s, the building sides were raised, acquiring today’s volume. In 1985 a [...]

Museo Archeologico Nazionale

,

The National Archaeological Museum has been located in the Cittadella dei Musei (museum citadel) in piazza Arsenale since 1993, but its institution dates back to 1805 when the Viceroy Carlo Felice donated the first set of archaeological finds that created the first archaeological collection open to visitors. Antonio Taramelli directed the museum between 1903 and [...]

Lazzaretto

,

The Lazzaretto was a place designated for the quarantine of people, goods and animals coming from countries where epidemics of infectious diseases such as plague, cholera, thyphus fever, smallpox, leprosy were diffused. The continuous epidemics and the consequential attempt to contain their diffusion proved that the choice of Sant’Elia area as its site was no [...]

Il Ghetto

,

The complex erroneously known as Ghetto degli Ebrei (Jewish Ghetto) rises on Santa Croce bastion, between the homonymous street and Cammino Nuovo (New Path), above the old walls around Castello district. It was originally constructed as barracks dedicated to the Sabaudian king Carlo Emanuele III. The building, designed by Piedmontese military engineers, was meant to [...]

Galleria Comunale d’Arte e Giardini Pubblici

,

The Municipal Art Gallery is the cornerstone of the Civic Museums and of the integrated museum system, and holds a crucial role in the city cultural planning. Not simply a traditional museum anymore, as it has become a research and innovation centre, a place where new artistic languages meet, the Gallery goes beyond its physical [...]

Fullonica

,

In 1956, excavations for the construction of a new building for I.N.P.S., Italy’s social security administration, in the area between Via XX Settembre and Viale Regina Margherita, brought to light ancient walls and led to intervention by the Superintendency for Archaeology, then directed by Gennaro Pesce. Excavations uncovered the remains of a room with a [...]

Fondazione di Sardegna

,

Banco di Sardegna Foundation headquarters is located in Cagliari city centre near the historic Castello district, on the area below N.S. di Monserrato (Our Lady of Monserrato) bastion. The history of its construction is unclear and hardly documented but, thanks to a document written by Canon Spano, its costruction is dated back after 1870, as [...]

Facoltà di Ingegneria e Architettura

,

Located in the upper part of Via Corte d’Appello near the churches of Santa Maria del Monte and Santa Croce, the former College of the Jesuits is now the seat of the Department of Architecture of the University of Cagliari. Annexed to the Basilica of Santa Croce, founded by the Jesuits in 1661, it followed [...]

Exma

,

Cagliari’s ex-slaughterhouse complex is located in the historic Villanova district, near the ancient churches of San Saturnino (St. Saturninus of Cagliari) and San Lucifero (St. Lucifer of Cagliari). At the time of its construction, it was located on the edge of the city, surrounded by fields. It was the ideal place to build a modern [...]

Cripta di Santa Restituta

,

The crypt of St Restituta is a hypogeum, partly natural and partly dug into the rock, which was used in the late Punic, Roman and probably early Christian times, as can be seen from the many findings from that period that came to light during restoration works carried out in the 1970s. The space has [...]

Consiglio Regionale della Sardegna

,

The Regional Council, the Autonomous Region of Sardinia’s legislative body, the Sardinian Parliament, has control and orientation functions towards the Region’s executive body, the Regional Government. The official seat of the Council has been in Via Roma, 25, since 1988; it covers an area of 3,200 square meters, divided into three structures. The central one [...]

Collezione Luigi Piloni

,

The collection includes more than 900 pieces of art and Sardinian handcraft, which had been gathered over years of research and strict selection. In 1980 it was donated by Luigi Piloni, an erudite and passionate researcher, to the University of Cagliari. The collection has enriched the university patrimony, promoting the growth of the public sentiment [...]

Cittadella dei Musei e fortificazioni

,

The Citadel of Museums is on the northern side of the rocky hill on which the old Castello district develops. Nowadays, only few clues, specifically two cisterns, suggest human presence in the area in the Phoenician-Carthaginian and Roman age. During the Pisan period, after the erection of the Torre di San Pancrazio (St. Pancras tower) [...]

Vedi Altri