Cagliari English 2017

Colle di Bonaria – Cimitero Monumentale

,

The Monumental Cemetery of Bonaria spreads near the homonymous hill, on an area previously employed as a necropolis of rock-cut tombs during the Punic-Roman and Early Christian ages of the city. Until the beginning of the century, the Benedictine Church of Santa Maria de Portu (Saint Mary of the harbor), S. Bardilio afterwards, was near [...]

Chiesa di Santa Lucia

,

Remembered in 1119 with the name of Santa Lucia di Civita, the church was built a century before the foundation of the Pisan Castle near the so-called Bagnaria merchant borough. Granted to the monks of San Vittore di Marsiglia, who were in San Saturno’s abbey, the church was part of an articulated monumental port system. [...]

Chiesa di San Vincenzo Dè Paoli

,

Saint Vincent De’ Paoli’s Church or Mission Church is located in the block between Via and Piazza San Domenico, where the Mission Congregation and College stand. It was built in 1950 while repairing a large chapel destroyed during the Second World War bombing. The chapel, integrated in the Mission house, had been constructed in 1915, [...]

Chiesa dei SS. Lorenzo e Pancrazio

,

The building is documented since the second half of the XIII century, and was once dedicated to St. Pancras. During the Spanish age, it changed its title into Nostra Signora del Buon Camino and in the XVIII century it was dedicated to the protomartyr Lorenzo. This Romanesque building is made of limestone ashlars. It has a medieval [...]

Chiesa della Purissima

,

The Purissima Church was probably built after 1540, when the noblewoman Gerolama Rams Dessena, who devoted herself to a monastic life, built the adjacent cloistered convent of the Poor Clares. The expansion of the convent and the edification of the church were planned later, in 1554; this initiative was supported by the archbishop Domenico Pastorelli [...]

Cattedrale e Cripta dei SS Martiri

,

Saint Mary's church became the city Cathedral in 1258, after conquering and then abandoning Saint Igia, the capital of the Giudicato di Cagliari (the Sardinian district of Cagliari), the Episcopate’s  main venue. The square base of the bell tower, the arms of the transept, the two Romanesque style side doors (the southern one) and the [...]

Castello e Parco di San Michele

,

Saint Michael Castle is located on the hill of the same name, nowadays surrounded by a large amount of buildings, but once isolated in the north-western territory outside Cagliari. Recent excavations brought the remains of an early medieval church (that is, from the early Middle Ages) to light, on whose top the castle with the [...]

Casa Massonica

,

Taken over some years ago by the Grande Oriente d’Italia (GOI) as the headquarters of the Masonic lodges in Cagliari, the building was originally built by the Sanjust di Teulada family. The traditional style is apparent with squared-off openings surmounted by frames and strips around the windows. The new building replaced the old building which [...]

Biblioteca Universitaria e Sala Settecentesca

,

The University Library was established in 1764 by the Constitutions for the University Reform. Its first regulations were written by Victor Amadeus III of Sardinia in 1785 and it opened to the public in 1792. It was positioned in the XVIII century Hall on the first floor of the University new building. The initial main [...]

Basilica di Santa Croce

,

Santa Croce church - which rests on the calcareous bastion with the same name - was probably built as a synagogue since its early years after the donation of the Castle to the Pisans (1217), even though there is no irrefutable evidence of it. However, it was certainly a Jewish place of worship when Cagliari [...]

Auditorium Conservatorio di Musica

,

The operational project of the Conservatory of Music Auditorium approved in 1964 included two sections: the school and the auditorium. In 1971 the school moved in from the old location in Piazza Palazzo, whereas the Auditorium was designed later on. Paolo Porceddu, an engineer and a musician, was the director of design and construction of [...]

Area archeologica e Museo del Tesoro Sant’Eulalia

,

A historical side, characterised by the overlapping of different phases of attendance during the republican and modern age, was brought to light under the upland where Saint’Eulalia’s church is built. In 1990, during the adaptation works of the sacristy, a shaft mouth full of remains was discovered. The shaft mouth was placed under the church [...]

Archivio di Stato di Cagliari

,

The monumental building of Cagliari’s National Archive was opened in 1927 and represented one of the first examples of modern archival constructions of that period. However, the Archive origins are very old: it was founded in 1332 by Alfonso il Benigno, king of Aragon, nine years after their island conquest. Being located in the historic [...]

Galleria Rifugio

The refuge is some one hundred and eighty metres in length. It runs parallel to and equidistant from  Viale Merello and Viale Fra Ignazio. The main entrance was from Via Don Bosco, in a wall of rock  in front of which now rises the Maria Ausiliatrice Ophthalmology Clinic. Some transverse corridors  of the tunnel, on [...]

Chiesa della Speranza

L’attuale sede monumentale dell’Archivio di Stato di Cagliari fu inaugurata nel 1927 e rappresentò in quegli anni uno dei primi esempi di moderna edilizia archivistica. Le origini dell’Archivio però sono molto antiche: fu creato nel 1332 da Alfonso il Benigno, re d’Aragona,

Vedi Altri