Cagliari English

Villa di Tigellio

,

The complex known as the Villa of Tigellius, since it was originally attributed to the bard of the same name, a contemporary of Augustus and famous for his wealth and extravagance, is in reality a part of an elegant residential area of Roman Karalis which was built at the end of the 1st century BC [...]

Pirri – Vetreria

Pirri glasshouse in Via Italia represents an expression of industrial archaeology in Cagliari that brings back to the economic progress and expansion of these activities at the beginning of the last century. It was a winemaking factory – distillery that in the following years was flanked by a glasshouse, so that the ancient furnaces for [...]

Parco Archeologico di Tuvixeddu

,

Tuvixeddu hill hosts a Punic necropolis, which has been considered the widest and most significant one in the Mediterranean area since the XIX century. The necropolis still preserves most of its striking expansion, although long damaged by the working of the quarries, which supplied the cement factory. The declining part of the hill pointing to [...]

Torre di San Pancrazio

The Pisan Tower of St. Pancras was designed by the architect Giovanni Capula in 1305, to defend the northern entrance to the Castello quarter. Built on the highest point of the hill, at 130 metres above sea level, it provided a view of all the lands surrounding the town. In 1328 the open side was [...]

Torre dell’Elefante

,

The imposing Pisan tower known as the Torre dell’Elefante was designed by the architect Giovanni Capula at the beginning of the 14th century and completed in 1307. Some time around 1328 the northern side was walled up to make room for storerooms and officials’ living quarters. In the 17th and 18th centuries new buildings were [...]

Tempio Punico Romano

The Punic Roman Temple was discovered during the building of a tourist agency. The archaeological area accounts for just a part of a bigger building which, found on a protruding rock, covered the downward slope. This structure, built during the Punic-Roman Age, probably dating back to the 3rd or 2nd century B C, is extremely [...]

Teatro Massimo

,

The history of the Teatro Massimo begins following two events that erased the two most important theatres of Cagliari: the fire, which destroyed the Politeama in 1942, and the terrible bombing which devastated the Teatro Civico in 1943. Therefore the Massimo was completed between 1944 and 1947. Two young architects of Cagliari, Oddone Devoto and [...]

Teatro Lirico

,

The Teatro Lirico was opened in 1993, at the end of a very long period of works that began in 1964, with the competition notice for the realization of a new theatre for the city, which replaced the old Teatro Civico that was destroyed in the Second World War's bombings. After approving the project realised by the architects Ginoulhiac and Galmozzi [...]

Molentargius – Teatro delle Saline

,

The most fascinating public building in the city of salt is surely the recreational club Dopolavoro. It was found on  October 20th, 1932, and then abandoned, until rediscovered and renovated in the 1990s by the group Teatro Akroama. Since then, numerous theatrical and musical shows have taken place here. The theatre is located beyond the [...]

Società degli Operai

,

The foundation of the Society of Mutual Aid of the City of Cagliari dates back to 1855: its first provisional headquarters were located in the Castello district, in the council room of the old Civic Palace. After different provisional sites, this elegant Art Nouveau building, that still hosts the Association, was built in 1912 meeting [...]

Scuola Elementare Santa Caterina

Saint Catherine’s Cloister, belonging to the Dominican Order, was built in 1641, with an annexed church. In his Guide of Cagliari Giovanni Spano, one of the first archaeologists studying Sardinia, wrote: “in 1882, the newspaper L’Avvenire di Sardegna reports the beginning of the demolition works on the section of Saint Catherine Bastion and the turret [...]

Parco Naturale Regionale Molentargius

,

The Regional Natural Park of Molentargius – Saline is located in the south of Sardinia, near Cagliari and Quartu Sant’Elena, two of the biggest Sardinian cities, estimating a population of around 400,000 people. Thanks to the number of different bird species, in 1977 this site was acknowledged as a wetland of international value by the [...]

Parco delle Rimembranze

Rationalism is the ordering criterion, deriving from the XIX century’s positivism, that in the XX century will be expressed in glass and reinforced concrete and will revolutionarily dictate the Cubist right angles and essential planes, like a purifying sword, in the absolute name of geometry. Le Corbusier, Gropius and Melnikov’s new spirit will finally find [...]

Palazzo Viceregio

,

The appearance of the viceroy’s Palace today is the result of changes and adaptations that have taken place over several centuries. Starting from the first half of the 14th century it was the residence of the Catalan and Aragonese viceroy. With the passing of time, administrative and political offices were added. The most important works [...]

Palazzo Siotto

,

The building is where the “Giuseppe Siotto” Historical Institute Foundation is located. It was founded in 1990, and its aim is to promote the study and diffusion of Sardinian history. Completed in 1850, the building underwent an important restructuring process in 1927 based on the project of the engineer, Giacomo Crespi. It has three facades [...]

Vedi Altri