The Borgo and its castle were born in medieval times, probably in the years 1347-1349, by the Doria family. In 1357 it was a possession of Brancaleone Doria, husband of Giudicessa Eleonora, daughter of Mariano IV, Judge of Arborea. In those years it assumed political-administrative and military centrality over the other neighboring villages, becoming the most important and populous stronghold and town in inland Anglona. Chiaramonti was an impregnable stronghold during Sardinia’s long war of independence against Iberian invaders. Chiaramonti became a fiefdom and gradually lost its political-administrative-military primacy over neighboring villages. The foreign oppressors also decided, at first, to use the manor as a territorial military garrison. In the 16th-17th centuries the castle was gradually dismantled and given a religious function with the construction of the parish church named after St. Matthew. The church was deconsecrated in 1840, and the Oratory of Holy Cross, in the town center, was named an auxiliary parish. The locality can also be considered a scenic vantage point, where much of the Anglona plain, the Osilo countryside, the Coros and the Gallura mountains can be admired.