Parish Church of St. Maurice

The parish church of Calasetta was built between 1837 and 1839, the year in which it was consecrated and opened for worship, based on a design by architect Pinna who worked in Cagliari and on the work of workers from Carloforte assisted by local volunteers. With a centralized plan and surmounted by a dome and 2 bell turrets that in the whole gave it an oriental aspect, the church was initially adorned inside with marble material from the ancient little church of the tuna fishery of Calasapone and a Roman mosaic found in a locality near the town. Enlarged in 1956 by breaking through the apse and extending the side walls, today it consists of 3 naves separated by arches. The paintings on the interior walls, made at the time of the extension, are by the German expressionist painter Jorg Schrayogg. The church is dedicated to St. Maurice, in memory of the Mauritian Order that guided and supported the settlement of the new population of the island of Sant’Antioco in the 1700s.

Write a Review

Legenda Accessibilità

Accesibilità al Monumento
Accessibilità con accompagnatore
Disponibilità di parcheggio
Servizi igienici
Visita in Lingua italiana dei Segni ( LIS )

Legenda Accessibilità Mezzi

BUS CTM - Accompagnatore
La presenza dell'adesivo azzurro alla fermata significa che quella fermata è abilitata all'uso della pedana manuale per salita e discesa dal bus, solo con l'aiuto dell'accompagnatore.
Bus CTM - Senza Accompagnatore
La presenza dell’adesivo azzurro alla fermata significa che quella fermata è abilitata all’uso della pedana manuale per salita e discesa dal bus, anche senza accompagnatore.